As long as you only maim people and not kill them, you can pretty much get away with it in Obamaland Chicago. Only 8% of non-lethal shooters were “charged” in 2011. Only 6% in 2012. Being charged doesn’t mean your convicted or face any serious consequences either.
From DNAinfo.com Chicago…
It’s getting easier to get away with shooting people in Chicago.
Last year, gunmen who shot and wounded someone got away without criminal charges 94 percent of the time, according to a DNAinfo.com Chicago analysis of police data.
That’s even worse than 2011, when 91.5 percent of shooters escaped charges, according to the data.
Chicago’s top cop said the “no-snitch” code of silence on the street is the biggest contributor in his department’s struggle to charge shooters.
“The challenges we have to get charges in a significant number of cases is very difficult when witnesses and victims choose not to cooperate,” Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said in an interview with DNAinfo.com Chicago.
“To make cases prosecutable we need cooperative witnesses — and those go out the window right up front. We have a victim today who is an offender tomorrow. It’s a vicious circle. There are a lot of people who are not going to cooperate,” he said. “That’s why we have to take on the no-snitch issue.”
In 2012, Chicago police cleared 211 aggravated battery with a firearm cases — 11 percent of the 1,893 incidents where someone was shot and wounded during the calendar year.
But of those cases, only 111 shootings — about 6 percent — resulted in charges. The other 100 cases were “cleared exceptionally,” which means police know who the shooter is but were unable to bring charges, the state’s attorney wouldn’t bring charges, a victim refused to testify after identifying a shooter or the offender was dead.
Detectives in 2012 were able to clear 144 cases that happened before 2012. But even when you factor in those cases, Chicago’s total clearance rate — 18.8 percent — is nearly half the national average cited in the most recent FBI report on clearance rates.
In 2010, eight police departments in cities with more than 1 million residents cleared 35.5 percent of nonfatal shootings with an arrest, the FBI report shows.
- Latest Chicago bloodbath: 19 shot in one night
- 10 shot in one day in gun free Chicago
- UK Daily Mail: Thugs ruin 4th of July.
- Latest Chicago bloodbath: 17 shot, 9 killed over weekend
- Mass violence during Afro-Carribean parade, amongst weekend of 67 gunshot victims.
- New Chicago bloodbath, 25 shot in less than 24 hours!
- New Chicago bloodbath
- Extreme left-wingers charged with felonies for assaulting police officers in Chicago
- Chicago: 4th of July attendance off by 700k. Gee, I wonder why?
- New Chicago bloodbath, 14 shot in one night.
- Six people shot at funeral in Chicago.
- 6 shot near downtown Louisville; pregnant woman among shooters!