Maine has more guns than people. So why aren’t they shooting up the place?
From BangorDailyNews.com LTE …
Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s bill to ban certain firearms is a wrongheaded approach to our nation’s problems with violence.
Maine has a strong tradition of responsible firearm ownership, an excellent record of safety and some of the lowest crime rates in the nation. For example, Detroit has a population of 700,000 and had 380 murders in 2012 while Maine, which has a population of 1.3 million people, averages 30 murders per year.
So, if more gun control leads to less gun crime and less gun controls leads to more gun crime, then why is Maine’s murder rate per capita 25 times less than Detroit’s?
I see Maine as evidence that our nation does not have a firearm problem; it has a social problem. The family unit is breaking down, poverty is on the rise, extreme violence is glorified in movies and video games and our underpaid teachers have little recourse when they encounter violence in their own classrooms.
Banning types of firearms from law-abiding citizens and leaving them at the mercy of criminals is clearly not the answer. I can speak to this issue personally, as I was a victim of a home invasion in 1989 when I was home alone at the age of 11.
Let’s not allow the same national hysteria that granted passage to the Patriot Act to be used in permanently undermining our Second Amendment rights.
Ann Coulter speaks out:
Black immigrants bring gun violence to “gun free” Netherlands
- New House Bill targets every lawful gun owner in the United States.
- The US Peace Index.
- Hazelwood City Council Attempting To Ban Hunting And Firearms Discharge!
- European leftists demand supression of civil rights.
- Ammo magazine can now be made at home with 3-D printers
- Dateline anti-gun special puts spotlight on black crime.
- Gov. who admits causing mortgage crises wants guns banned
- Top ten stories from June 2012
- Eric Holder makes absurd statement to justify Obama gun ban!
- Obama begins re-writing the history of post Katrina violence.
- Proposed â€œSafetyâ€ Regulations Would Dry Up Ammunition Sales
- FBI: Gun violence has plummeted!