Israel is a heavily armed society with broad gun freedom. Teachers have access to guns at schools and teenage girls carry fully automatic rifles in public. Israeli citizens also have the right to defend property with lethal force. Only Americans living in Texas have the same rights.
However, the leading newspaper in Israeli is reporting that American Jews are universally in favor of gun control for the United States.
US President Obama’s new gun control proposals drew broad Jewish communal support.
The uniformity of the Jewish response to the proposals unveiled Wednesday stood in contrast to Republican opposition to many of the suggested measures, including a ban on assault weapons and tighter background checks on gun purchasers.
Supportive statements came from the Jewish Council for Public Affairs, the umbrella for public policy groups, as well as Reform, Conservative and Orthodox umbrella groups.
Other organizations welcoming the initiative included Jewish Women International, the National Council of Jewish Women, the Reform movement’s Religious Action Center, B’nai B’rith International, the National Jewish Democratic Council, the Conservative movement’s Rabbinical Assembly, Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice as well as leading Jewish lawmakers, including Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Ben Cardin (D-Md.).
Forward Magazine, the largest Jewish publication in the world, lists eleven US Senators and thirty three US Representatives as being Jewish. Of the Senators, Gun Owners of America gives nine of them an “F-” and two of them an “F.” Only a few of the Representatives are pro-gun.
- Bogus ADL anti-Semitism claims would make Jewish Daily Forward a hard-core anti-Semitic publication
- Amnesty Red Alert
- Should women be drafted into the military?
- Joe Biden: Jews led fight for homosexual marriage, open borders, feminism, and more
- Israel admits giving birth control injections to Ethiopian immigrants
- Has the black-Jewish alliance disintegrated
- SPLC renews attack on AFA/FRC despite terrorist attack they inspired last year